Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Sunday 16 January 2011

Green 1am Skirt

Hey dudes, I used the following link:
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-make-basic-skirt-pattern-0123021/
to make a basic skirt block, adapted it to be pencil skirty, and then made it.  I use fabric I found in the remnant bin; a thin piece of green tweedy stuff, and a thick green lining.  The outer fabric was only half a metre wide, so it's a little short, and I didn't allow enough ease into the pattern so its rather tight.  But I'm quite pleased with the finished result, a professional looking skirt imo. :) 
Firstly I cut out the basic block for the skirt out of paper, then traced it onto some grease proof paper and made the alterations which took the bottom of the skirt in to make it a fitted pencil skirt.  The pattern pieces amount to 1/4 of the finished skirt, with two different pieces for front and back.  Each piece has a dart in the top to take it in at the waist whilst allowing the skirt to fit over the hips.   The grease proof paper worked well, it curled quite a bit annoyingly but will store easier that  big sheets of paper.
 Next time I planned to use only one pattern piece for the front to avoid the seam down the middle.   Then I cut the pieces out of the fabric, cutting the same from the outer and lining fabric.  I then pinned the four outer pieces together before sewing them (leaving the back seam undone).  And did the same in the lining.  The I sewed the darts into each piece. I now put the outer and lining fabric right sides together and sewed the top of the skirt; the waist.  I then sewed up the back seam, leaving room for the zip.  I then attatched the zip.  Actually the first time I sewed all the way up the back seam and then attatched the zip, which did not sit well on the skirt.  So I had to redo, but eventually I got it.

 Then I turned the skirt the right way around, and all I had to do was tuck under the hem and sewed along the bottom. 


Et Voila!




2 comments:

  1. Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
    it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog stand
    out. Please let me know where you got your design.
    Thank you
    My page: photo ornaments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I just used the blogger design thing, I added a column down each side and the pink stripey bkgd. All that came from blogger- I used my own photos for the banner image which took a long time to make the correct size but if I can master it anyone can!

      Delete