Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Monday 7 February 2011

Little Orange Jacket

Well my second look from the remnant bin is a little jacket made from Orange and Red upolstery fabric; okay I didn't add sleeves so it's really a waistcoat/body warmer.  I had very little fabric to work with, and spent a lot of time woking out how I would fit the pattern pieces on the fabric to cut it out, especially since I did cut out two sleeves (and sleeves are really big btw), so its a super cropped waistcoat jacket- which may not be a thing.  I made the excellent decision to add a green lining, lining always makes clothes look more finished and professional as it hides all the messy seam crap inside.  And the green actually compliments the red of the outer fabric.

I used the basic bodice block I had made for the pattern pieces, but blocks directly correspond to your measurements making them skin tight.  So I added approx 3cm to the back piece (which is cut on a fold, so it was extended approx 6cm in total), and a similar amount to the front pieces.  But when I cut out the pieces and pinned them together it was far to small, even for my skinny little bod. So I cut out two small rectangles and inserted them under the arm joining the front and back.  I also needed to adjust the neck and armhole.  So I think I'll need to reconfigure my bodice block, and I still don't know how to effectively transform it into a pattern for another garment.  But I managed to complete something wearable, so a small pat on the back!

Not sure how I'm gonna fasten it up, I purposefully made one side of the front wider than the other so it overlaps.  But I'm not sure why, or what I'll do with it. >.<  I like the idea of using Asian fabric buttons and ties shown adjacent.
 




I think it'll work.  But frankly, on me, it's always gonna look hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment