Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Saturday 12 March 2011

Stripey Crops

Well still working on my remnant bin score of many weeks ago (had a rather busy week last week that thwarted any sewing attempts) but did managed to finish off a few of the niggly little projects that were waiting around and causing me annoyance, although Im sure Ill find new things to fix/further mess up on them eg my pink flowery dress which looks so nice in pictures and is actually a little unwearable in real life owing to all these pesky ribs I have has now been hemmed along the bottom but my brown bias binding has just arrived meaning Ill be adding that sometimes soon.

Anyway, my latest creation is a pair of green stripey cropped trousers that Im in love with.  I used the trouser block I had made myself but made short trouser.  The block worked well up to a point, but the basic trousers produced needed a lot of altering.  I'm very pleased with my crotch*, but the legs needed to be taken in several inches- I think full length trousers would have handled the wide leg look better but not for crops.  The fabric also has some stretch to it, which I didn't realise until I had made the trousers (that's just how good I am!) so I was able to pull them on and off with need for a zip. 

So I added a waistband- with the fabric going in a different direction the waistband had no stretch to it (doh) so had to be yanked on and off.  I'm not sure if the top was too big for me before this or a result of this but I quickly realised there was serious gaping at the back.  Also the back of the trousers sits much lower than the front- so I clearly need to change my pattern to have a higher back in the paper version which will produce a level back and front when wearing the fabric version. 

I unpicked the crotch and added a short zip which is enough to allow me to get them on, and the waist band still looks nice, I added a press stud to fasten it but have yet to cover that up with a button (they are defo not finished, just like everything else).  But once on they remain to big and I think Ill have to take them in at the sideseams which means unpicking the waistband and side seams.  So for now they are held up by safety pins!

My next creations- should these ever get finished- will be a grotesque wedding dress styled for an alternative wedding party for the weekend of the royal wedding and inspired by My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding which Ive not watched but seen pictures.  And a nice spring/summer box pleat dress using a Butterick pattern after I saw someone else finished product on Burdastyle recently and felt inclined to copy them.  I also want to make box pleat shorts, and more cropped trousers...

*uh oh there's one for the blooper reel!

No comments:

Post a Comment