Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Awesome Trouser Fix

I have a lot of trouble buying trousers...well not with buying trousers but with finding ones that fit.  I have become quite an expert at buying trews that don't fit.  The issue is not with size but with shape, I have no issue with wearing a size 10 or a size 20 if that's how the shop wants to size their clothes (although some consistency through the high street would be appreciated) but you can't take a size 10 designed for a thin woman with no curves and just make it bigger and expect it to fit a fairly slim woman with some curves. 

Anyway, my issue is that to fit over my thighs and butt I have to get a size far to big for my waist, so there is always gapping around the waist, especially at the back.  I was contemplating  taking them in at the waist and thinking that removing the waist band and cutting a chunk out of it, taking in the trousers and reattching the waist band was the best way.  Which gave me a stress head and I threw them in the corner of the room and ignored them for a while. 
Enter the internet!  And I saw something on pinterest about using elastic in the back of the waistband, so that's what I tried.



I cut two small strips of elastic and sewed them (with zig zag stitch to allow for stretch) in the back of the waist band, I pulled them taut and then sewed so that they scrunched closed after sewing taking the trousers in.  It took a few attempts because zig zag sewing of taut elastic is not easy especially when you are at least partially incompetent.

On the whole I am quite pleased with the results- clearly this is a quick fix not a super perfect fix, and it would be better to find trousers to fit to begin with.  But the elastic gives the trousers a bit of stretch meaning the gap in the back is closed but the trousers will stretch open if I'm having a fat day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment